The rule of thumb when it comes to sizing the ring finger is definitely not attempt to guess the ring size. We know that the surprise factor is important when it comes to the proposal, but it is strongly recommended that when you are “just browsing” for engagement rings that you have an experienced associate size the ring finger.
Helpful Tips for the Most Accurate Sizing:
- Weather affects finger sizes. When it’s hot, fingers are generally more swollen. When it’s cold, or in an air conditioned environment, fingers are thinner.
- Right and left hands can vary in size, so size the exact finger the ring will be worn on.
- If in doubt about the true ring size, visit a local jeweler and have them measure your finger with a finger-sizing ring. If the ring will be a surprise, order a ring that is as close as possible to the actual ring size and then have sized to fit the wearer’s finger after the proposal.
Find Your Ring Size
Before you start shopping for rings, make sure you know what size you need so that you can achieve a perfect fit. Your ring size can be determined by:
- placing a ring that fits you on a professional ring sizing mandrel
- placing your finger in a professional ring sizing tool
- finding an approximate fit with a ring size chart for your finger
- finding an approximate fit with a ring size chart for rings
Printable Ring Sizing Chart
In order to print the ring sizer above, be sure that your printer is set to 100%. Make sure that you have not reduced the print size in your printer 'page setup' area. You can verify that the sizer printed correctly by measuring it with a ruler; it should measure from A to B: 3 1/2 inches long.
Once you have printed the sizer, follow these directions to find your ring size:
- Cut out the ring sizer
- Cut a slit for Slot "A"
- With the numbers facing out, wrap the sizer around the finger where the ring will be worn.
- Pull the pointed end Tab "B" through Slot "A" until the sizer is snug, making sure to allow size for the knuckle.
- The number aligned with Slot "B" is your ring size.
- If the measure lands between two numbers your size is a half size Ex: Between 5 and 6 ring size: 5.5. If half sizes are not available, order the next largest size.
NOTES: Be certain to allow for the size of your knuckles, do not simply wrap the sizer around the ring place, attempt to pull it on and off.